Report to EQUALS members
1. The forum had received a reply from the DfE following their letter to Philip Hammond about lack of funding for special schools. The reply was very general and was not felt to be an adequate response. This will be followed up by the group in discussion with the DfE
2. The qualitative evaluation has been published around the 7 aspect of engagement please see the link below. Whilst there were a number of positive outcomes from members who are part of school hubs there were also concerns around workload and it is likely that the pilots will run until 2020. A number of members will develop some questions around the aspects of engagement which will be put before Andrea Imich when he next attends the National SEND Forum.
Exemplification for the Pre Key Stage Standards with annotated notes and videos should also be available soon.
Approaches to assessment without levels in schools – DfE – December 2108
3. OFSTED framework – a much more positive framework which allows schools to take greater responsibility for the development of the curriculum and personalise learning to meet pupil needs. (See link below). It will also provide opportunities for Inclusive school to attain outstanding and not be held back by attainment data. Some concerns were noted around lack of inspection notice related to pupil disruption and the need for greater flexibility around behaviour.
Ofsted framework consultation
4. The UCL report implications for Whole School Send around the special needs index is now in draft form and should be out shortly. It contains National/Regional and LA data sets on aspects of SEND from EYs to Secondary aged students.
5. New schools Network – The Local Authority led wave 2 new free special schools window and materials should be out early 2019.
6. EQUALS future events
– Conference ‘Curriculum at the heart of learning’ Friday 5th July 2019
– Pre-formal PMLD Curriculum – ‘ A person centered and holistic curriculum for learners with profound and multiple learning difficulties’ is now available
– The ‘Semi-formal Curriculum’ scheme of work for ‘My Outdoor School’ will be available shortly
– Updated schemes of work for Maths and Science – formal subject-specific – are now available
I will inform members of the next main agendas items and please do identify any issues or questions that you would like me to raise at the meetings on your behalf as a member of EQUALS.